Saturday, October 19, 2013

Review #4: Business As Usual - Men At Work (1981)

Men At Work's second album, Cargo, comes very close to being the album "reviewed" here. Perhaps in another blog. But this album, Business As Usual really represents the sound that made Men At Work famous, however brief it was. The album is very well balanced, with each track being a potential single. I always felt that Men At Work had a unique sound, and that's what is carried over to some extent on their second album. Unfortunately it didn't on their third. The formula for its success is really the amazing fusion of Greg Hams woodwinds and brass, and the quirky, wry, humourous lyrics from Colin Hay.

I went through the Men At Work obsession in 1984. I remember it well. Having only heard the three singles "Who Can It Be Now?", "Down Under" and "Be Good Johnny" being continually rotated on FM radio (FOX FM and EON FM in Melbourne) with "It's A Mistake" and the brilliant "Overkill" from their second album Cargo, I found a great need to hear the rest of the songs. I was sure they'd be equally as good as the three singles. Often album tracks are just that - album tracks. Not on Business As Usual. Each song is complete joy in its own right.

"Business As Usual" by Men At Work

1. Who Can It Be Now? (Rating: 9/10)
This song still holds up well after 32 years. Has it really been that long? Perfect example of Greg Ham's genius on the sax. 

2. I Can See It In Your Eyes (Rating: 8/10)
Great song with a great sound. 

3. Down Under (Rating: 10/10)
Doesn't get better than this. I don't care about the law suit. Greg Ham ripped nobody off. The video clip is one of the best ever. Makes me proud to be an Aussie. 

4. Underground (Rating: 9.5/10)
This could easily have been a single. Not only did it get radio airplay, but it was always on their "Greatest Hits" albums. That notwithstanding, the song is not only a great example of Greg Ham's musicianship, but Jerry Speiser's drumming is second to none.

5. Helpless Automation (Rating: 7/10)
Greg Ham was a great musician, but his vocals were, let's say, different. Colin Hay couldn't have sung this though.

6. People Just Love To Play With Words (Rating: 8/10)
Am I too generous with the ratings? I don't think so. Another gem from the album, this song works so well.

7. Be Good Johnny (Rating: 9/10)
Love the video clip for this. Almost as good as "Down Under". I could understand why people would find this song annoying. I don't though. Love it.

8. Touching The Untouchables (Rating: 8/10)
Hello to you my sweet young friends,
Have you got money, perhaps you could lend?
I wash my leather face in the afternoon sun,
My shirt's torn, my time's near done...

Hehe. Love it.

9. Catch A Star (Rating: 7/10)
This has a common sound that Men At Work had... ok, well it has a similar guitar riff to "It's A Mistake" from Cargo. Semi reggae with a hint of New Wave.

10. Down By The Sea (Rating: 7.5/10)
The middle eight in this song is one of Men At Work's best. A sudden solo sax that leads in to its fade out. Great stuff.

Overall rating: 83/100 (83%)

No comments:

Post a Comment