Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Review #3: Tug Of War - Paul McCartney (1982)

When this album came out, McCartney was still doing his best work, Wings had just split, John Lennon had just died, and New Wave music was defining the popular sound. McCartney began this album around the time Lennon was shot. He came to George Martin with several songs that were eventually turned down, but together with the former Beatle producer, they came up with arguably McCartney's best post-Beatles work.

I first heard this record in 1982 when a friend of mine who lived next door (his family had an amazing record collection) made a copy on tape for me. I was very young, but I still knew who McCartney was, and even at a young age had loved the Beatles music. Tug Of War was the first album I ever played over and over and over again. In many ways it was responsible for my love of music, not to mention my admiration for, and long time following of the genius of Paul McCartney. In addition to McCartney, the album has Denny Laine, Ringo Starr, Carl Perkins and Stevie Wonder.

"Tug Of War" by Paul McCartney

1. Tug Of War (Rating: 9/10)
As a kid I loved the way the album opened with the sounds of people having a tug of war. This song demonstrates how good old George Martin is as a producer.  The instrumentation towards the end is amazing, and the song is a great opening to a wonderful album.


2. Take It Away (Rating: 9.5/10)
Long been my favourite on the album, this song. I always loved the video clip too. I never understood why it wasn't a bigger hit on the charts (not that the charts mean anything). Love the dual drumming and the horn fade out at the end.

3. Somebody Who Cares (Rating: 8.5/10)
This is just a great song. The flute solo is terrific. McCartney at his best.

4. What's That You're Doing? (Rating: 8/10)
Most people know Stevie Wonder for "Ebony And Ivory" on this album, but Stevie's first contribution was this great song. I actually prefer it to "Ebony". It was later re-worked with DJ Freelance Hellraiser on the Twin Freaks album in 2005. And it's pretty good too.

5. Here Today (Rating: 8/10)
Paul's tribute to John is quite good. I always felt good for hearing it after their nasty exchange in the early 70's from John's Imagine and Paul's Ram. It's a beautiful song.

6. Ballroom Dancing (Rating: 9.5/10)
Anyone who says this song is crap doesn't know what they're talking about. This song is so well arranged musically that it should have been award winning. It's middle eight is among the best ever. Put the CD on. Turn it up high. George Martin is brilliant.

7. The Pound Is Sinking (Rating: 8/10)
As a kid I learnt quite a lot about foreign money from this song. Just works so well. There's no dud on this album.

8. Wanderlust (Rating: 8.5/10)
Great song that was remade two years later on Give My Regards To Broadstreet. And remade very well too I might add. I still prefer this version.

9. Get It (Rating: 7.5/10)
It pains me to give this a lower rating. I could have given it 8.. maybe 8.5. McCartney and Perkins work very well together. Shame they didn't do another one.

10. Be What You See (Link) (Rating: 7.5/10)
I didn't want this "track" to lower the rating of the whole album. Perhaps I shouldn't have even rated it. Strangely enough though, it's quite good. It has elements of Beatles fill-in's from The White Album. I never understood it, and still don't. But it works well for the album.

11. Ebony And Ivory (Rating: 7/10)
Ok. Here we go. OK, this song was number one. But like I said before, the charts don't mean a thing. It probably sold based on it's "sensitive" theme. Don't get me wrong, it means well. And it's a very good song. I think the reason for my lower rating is it's perpetual airplay on local radio stations when I was a kid. Aw heck! The song is good. Stevie is great. The video clip is cheesy. Good enough!

Special Mention: Love the B-Side to "Take It Away", the great "I'll Give You A Ring".

Overall rating: 82.5/110   74.32%

No comments:

Post a Comment