Saturday, October 12, 2013

Review #2: Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits (1985)

As stated in the last album review, these classic albums are not in any particular order. That is to say, Year of the Cat is not ranked higher than this album. I just chose to write about it first. Brothers In Arms has a special meaning for me, just like the aforementioned Year of the Cat. Brothers In Arms was released when I was early into high school, and the only song I knew about Dire Straits was Sultans Of Swing that I'd heard on an old compilation cassette that I kept stealing off my sister. While most of the music on that cassette was in the style of New Wave of the late 70's and early 80's, Sultans Of Swing was the song that I found the most interesting.


"Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits (1985)


1. So Far Away (Rating: 8/10)
The first song on the album is defined by its unusual sound. I remember hearing this one at one of the "disco's" at High School -- you know the ones, where they hire a DJ in the middle of the day, drag you to the school hall and expect 50 nervous teenagers try and dance with the opposite sex. The DJ did a great job though. Fortunately for him, the music was good in 1986. I only remember two of the songs he played though, this one and "Road To Nowhere" by Talking Heads.

2. Money For Nothing (Rating: 10/10)

The first song from the album that was played on Melbourne radio. This was the big boy. The song had two versions: the single version and the album version. I still have the 7" single. There's a few scratches on it though. I played it to death. When I was given this album for Christmas, "Money For Nothing", the album version was played even more. Fortunately though, cassettes don't scratch -- they just get screwed up in the uncleaned, unaligned cassette player heads. 


The guitar riff on this song is very identifiable. I was fortunate enough to see Dire Straits in concert in 1991 at the Melbourne Tennis Centre (Rod Laver Arena). This was their encore. They didn't play the familiar "I want my MTV..." opening, instead Mark Knopfler just came back on stage and opened the song with the riff. Needless to say the audience went ape shit. I was one of them.


Few people remember, or realise, that "Money For Nothing" was actually shortened on the vinyl LP release. This is just when CD's were becoming popular, and because of the extra length of time, artists were able to make albums longer than the standard (roughly) 40-45 minutes. So for the vinyl version they had to edit some of the songs. Unfortunately for those in the mid 80's who still had a record player, or swore that the vinyl sound was still better than the artificial CD sound, they heard different, shorter versions of a few of the songs. Having said that, if you find a copy of Brothers In Arms at your local Comic Book Guy or collector fair, grab it. It's rare.


And don't forget the ground-breaking video clip.

3. Walk Of Life (Rating: 9/10)
I remember hearing this song for the first time when I was visiting family friends in Naracoorte. It was being played on their local country radio. I'd never heard the song before, but as soon as Knopfler's distinctive vocals came on, I knew who it was.


4. Your Latest Trick (Rating: 6.5/10)
Radio always played the shorter version in the old days. Now they play the longer, official one. I don't mind this song, but it's not one of my favourites. 


5. Why Worry (Rating: 7.5/10)
Another song on the album with an unusual sound. Very simple lyrics that have a strong meaning. Nicely done.


6. Ride Across The River (Rating: 9/10)
Talking about an unusual sound, this one is amazing. In 1986, at the end of their Brother's In Arms Tour, the band finished with a concert in Sydney. It was telecast live on Channel 9 and simulcast on FM radio. I recorded concert on video (since wiped the tape) and on audio cassette (also wiped). Hands up who's a dumbass. Yo! Right here! Fortunately I found lesser quality copy, complete with Molly Meldrum's intro and outro on Youtube. God bless Youtube.


Anyway, "Ride Across The River" was the opening song at the concert. It is a far superior version than that which is on the album. That's a big call, but I stand by it. I'm not a fan of listening to live music on recording because  you never get the "feel" of the concert (and they always sing it different). This is an exception to the rule. Mark Knopfler, in his style, leads an 11 minute "Ride Across The River" jam session that is not to be missed. Just like at the opening of the On Every Street tour in 1991 where "Calling Elvis" was the big opener, "Ride Across The River" opens the show so wonderfully you simply cannot miss it. Search for it on Youtube. Oh heck... here's the link: Ride Across The River (Live in Australia) - Dire Straits.


7. The Man's Too Strong (7/10)
Nice song with a rip roaring rock chord hook.


8. One World (7.5/10)
Another nice album song that blends in nicely on the album. Fair lead in to another gem.


9. Brothers In Arms (10/10)
This is the gem. You know, I didn't even like this song when I first heard it. I was 13 at the time. Have mercy on my soul. This song, as I soon correctly found out, is brilliant. It's not just the terrific guitar riffs but the carefully and sensitively worded verses that can bring a grown man to tears. Sure, it's about the Falkland's War, but it can be associated with any war:

Now the sun's gone to hell... and
The moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die
But it's written in the starlight
And every line in your palm
We are fools to make war
On our brothers in arms

Need I say more.

Overall rating: 74.5/90 (82.7%)

No comments:

Post a Comment