Saturday, October 12, 2013

Review #1: Year Of The Cat - Al Stewart (1976)

This is where I start recording a list of my favourite albums of all time. It's by no means a list that takes into account awards, popularity, chart success or anything other than my complete opinion. These are the albums that have meant something to me over the years. So, in no particular order, here is the first album:

"Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart (1976)


"Year of the Cat" by Al Stewart
 I was listening to one of those generic compilation CDs of the 70's some time around 1997, and on came the title song to this album. I had heard it before, perhaps on Gold FM  or on the radio some time when I was growing up. I thought the song was so smooth and had this wonderful melody. The middle section with the instrumental break was the clincher though. There's acoustic guitar, electric guitar and then a sweet saxophone. If that's not enough, the story carries the song right up to the fade out. It's a remarkable song, and that was all it took to make me seek out more of Al's songs. I found the original album at a treasure market for about 50c. It was enough for me to upgrade to CD. So from about 1997 I've been an Al Stewart fan. He's probably the most underrated singer songwriters in the world. His choice of material is primarly historical -- telling stories of famous figures from the past, the Russian War, politicians, and an album not so long ago on the theme of wine. More about that later. This entry is about the album "Year of the Cat".

1. Lord Grenville (Rating: 8/10)
Track one is a great opening to the album. You don't need to know who Lord Grenville is to appreciate this song. "Go tell Lord Grenville that the tide is on the turn".

2. On The Border (Rating: 9.5/10)
"On the Border" was a single from this album. Great song (and particularly effective when Al plays it live).

3. Midas Shadow (Rating: 8.5/10)
Love this song. It's got that mid 70's electic piano sound I love.

4. Sand In Your Shoes (Rating: 9/10)
I learnt to play this one on the guitar. It's very easy and fun to play. Terrific word play.

5. If It Doesn't Come Naturally, Leave It (Rating: 7/10)
Great song with a simple message (if you don't take it too literally).

6. Flying Sorcery (Rating: 9.7/10)
This song will always remind me of the World Trade Centre. Everyone has their "where were you when it happened" story. I have a "what were you listening to" story. The world trade centre had collapsed the night before (Melbourne, Australia time), and the next morning the events were just sinking in. I was listening to this song through headphones on the train to Melbourne and reading the horror in the newspaper (as was everyone else). The only (wierd) connection between the song and the  WTC was the aircraft theme, and the eerie lines "The clouds came up to gather us/And the cockpit turned to white/When I looked the sky was empty/I suppose you never saw the landing-lights/Are you there?" The song will always remind me of that tragic event.

7. Broadway Hotel (Rating: 8/10)
A wonderful song, again with that sweet 70's sound.

8. One Stage Before (9/10)
If you don't get shivers when you hear the lines: "Of laughter like the waves upon the shores/Of infinity", you never will. Another great song that gives you images of a lost era.

9. Year Of The Cat (10/10)
There is a history behind this song, but I won't go into it here. That's what google's for. This song though, is simply amazing.

Overall rating: 78.7/90 (87.44%)

No comments:

Post a Comment